Re: Physical movement in sleep

General questions? Ask our experienced practitioners here
Luna
PHASER
PHASER

Physical movement in sleep

Post by Luna »

Last night I had just gone to sleep and I entered a dream straight away. I was walking up a set of stairs with my husband and son when I tripped!! I almost became lucid but I woke up because I actually moved my physical leg. Why did that happen? SP hadn't kicked in already?
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. ~ Einstein
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

It had kicked in but muscle atonia was most likely wearing off.  Either that or you moved a phantom limb!  ;D

Whatever the case, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

Mind that metaphysical set of stairs next time!  ;)
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
Michael Raduga
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Michael Raduga »

Summerlander wrote: It had kicked in but muscle atonia was most likely wearing off.  Either that or you moved a phantom limb!  ;D
I'm agree with this.

I'd better think at that moment about getting the state back immediately
Luna
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Luna »

I actually kicked my husband when my leg moved. I did ask him at the time if he felt me kick him and he replied yes. I read your replies and thought "ooh I might have asked him in the phase!!!" so I asked him again yesterday and he still said yes I kicked him.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. ~ Einstein
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Yes, it's good to ask again in waking life.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
12padams
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 12padams »

Hey Luna,

If you don't already know what you experienced is known as a hypnic jerk. You can find out about these here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypnic_jerk

I used to have them almost every night as a kid... You always enter the dream quickly then you trip and when you hit the ground in the dream it feels like you fall and land on your bed.

Just be glad your not suffering from the tetris effect... People experience these jerks constantly and then can't get to sleep because they fear it happening again. The more they fear. It the more it happens and the worse their insomnia get... So yes what you experienced can be deadly if it happens often.
[center]Can't experience the phase?

Check out my free ebooks and video recreations of actual phase experiences.

Watch/Read Here: http://obe4u.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

It wasn't a hypnic jerk because those are experienced at the onset of sleep (hypnagogic state) and bring you abruptly back to wakefulness.  It is common in people who are hesitant about falling asleep and possibly the result of the brain mistaking relaxation signals for falling. 

Luna's leg movement happened after a full-fledged dream.  The fact that she tripped in the dream is quite significant as it may have triggered a fight-or-flight response that ejected her from the dream state and woke her up. 

As it happens, you can imagine the amygdala sending impulses to the brainstem thus triggering the mechanisms that bring about the release of adrenaline - which is enough to break REM atonia in a split second especially when it's wearing off (as I said in my previous post).